Thinking about going green and don’t know where to start? Without getting too deep into the details, here are some simple ways to green your routine without having to make compromises:
- Try to cut down on one-time-use products like wipes, cotton balls and rounds. Make-up remover wipes are admittedly great for travel, but buying 100 ml travel bottles for your favorite products is even better.
- Switch to a natural deodorant. There are so many options out there that you won’t have to sacrifice the benefits the more mainstream brands tout, without any of the toxins.
- If you don’t like a product or it’s not giving you the results you want, don’t give up on green beauty. Just like other beauty products, some will work better for you than others. There are natural products out there that work just as well, if not better, than their non-natural counterparts – trust me.
- Take it upon yourself to learn about ingredients, which ones are to be avoided and look out for them when shopping. Even a product advertised as natural, organic, cruelty-free and vegan can contain toxic ingredients (like a product I once purchased from Lush).
- Pay attention to the packaging – or better yet, lack of packaging – your products come with. Avoid cheap plastics and look for recyclable, biodegradable packaging. Bar shampoos are one way to cut down on waste and you get way more product than you would from a bottle.
- Check out this list of natural and vegan nail polishes.
- For the vegans out there, use PETA’s Beauty Without Bunnies guide to help guide your purchasing decisions.
- Ditch your plastic drugstore toothbrush for an eco-friendly alternative like this one by Mable.
- Get to know the company (and possibly its parent company) behind your products. Try to shop local and look for companies that share the same values you do.
- Spend less, wisely. Most brands would be happy to let you sample their products, and some even have sampling programs. Use this to test out what you like and save your money for the products you really love.
How do you green your beauty routine? Share them in the comments!